Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Better Pencil, Part II

An interesting question is brought up in the beginning of Chapter 8 regarding whether or not communicating through technology is killing conversation and rupturing social relationships. Baron simply responds with, "English survives, conversation thrives online as well as off, and on balance, digital communications seems to be enhancing human interaction, not detracting from it." While Baron answers this deep question in only two sentences, my personal experiences push me to look past his focus on how it has boosted interactions and analyze what I have personally witnessed amongst my peers. 

This is perhaps the first, and possibly last time I will ever disagree with this well informed author. As much as I would like to think conversation thrives offline more than it did before computers were introduced, I can't help but acknowledge regular experiences that prove this point wrong. Yes, I realize sheer interaction on the web has greatly increased as a result of improved accessibility to just about anyone in the world. However, when I am no longer shocked to hear of break up texts or about someone being scared of a professional conversation on the phone with a stranger because it involves the act of speaking, I am simply led to believe our confidence and dependence of utilizing text for any kind of conversation has become a bit alarming. 


With a growing popularity for online services and the existence of entirely digital businesses, I view these additions as outlets for avoiding face to face interaction. Although I personally prefer to speak with someone rather than send an email, I'm still guilty of technology dependence as well. For example, I regularly avoid uncomfortable situations by resorting to my phone. Even when I'm on a date or enjoying a meal with my parents, I have to frequently remind myself not to check my phone in order to remain engaged in the conversation. 


So to summarize everything I just mentioned, I disagree because it seems like the younger generations have a harder time with social interaction and have more confidence in text than in a face to face conversation. Therefore, I believe it has weakened conversation offline and these interactions are only strengthened through the use text, which is not necessarily strengthening society.

Personally, it makes me wonder how future parties and businesses will work under my generation and those after. At this point I almost entirely receive internet invitations and thank you notes in replacement of letters through the mail - and by mail I mean in a mailbox rather than inbox if there's any confusion regarding my terminology. Of course I love technology, heck I want to design websites as a career, but regardless, I do occasionally wish it was socially acceptable not to have a cellphone or a Facebook. I say this simply because I may never have the opportunity to attempt to detach myself from this pressing technological dependence and I'd actually like to have a chance to appreciate life without it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment